Although the name is “general”, General Surgery is an area of specialization in medical science. In addition to performing surgeries for a wide range of diseases, General Surgery Specialists are closely involved in patient care either before and after the operation.
- Digestive system ( oesophagus, stomach, intestion, liver, pancreas and gall bladder),
- Abdomen and abdominal organs, including hernias,
- Chest, skin and soft tissue,
- The endocrine system,
- Vascular surgery,
- Transplantation surgeon are related to “General Surgery”.
TREATMENTS IN GENERAL SURGERY
Diagnosis and Treatment of Thyroid Diseases;
General Surgery treat the functional differentations or some changes in the thyroid glands.
- Thyroid Nodules FNAB (Fine Needle Aspiration Biopsy); is a reliable, unexpensive and easy diagnose method to detect nodules in the thyroid glands as benign or malignant. Before the FNAB procedure is performed, the location of nodules is precisely located and the biopsy is performed rapidly.
- Goiter Operations; Goitre Surgery is performed because of inability to cure the disease of the goitre known as the growth of the thyroid gland, the overgrowth of the nodules in the gland and possibility of cancerous cells starting to form in the nodules. When cancerous cells are detected, there is a possibility that the thyroid glands are completely removed.
- Non – Operative Treatment and Follow-up for Thyroid Diseases; Patients who do not have a problem with their blood values and who are not diagnosed with malignant nodules after a thyroid biopsy, are tried to be controlled by medication before they have a surgical treatment. The patient’s performance status is monitored at periodically and if it is not necessary, General Surgery is not performed. Medication Hormonal Therapy is sufficient for some patients to control Goitre Diseases.
Diagnosis and Treatment of Breast Diseases;
Genetic causes or menopause can also affect the formation of masses in the breasts. According to the structures of the masses, surgical procedures may be required for the treatment.
- Thin and Thick Needle Biopsy (TRU-CUT) in the Diagnosis of Breast Masses; Breast biopsies are performed after having ultrasonography and the precise location of the cyst determined. In Fine Needle Biopsy, cells can be removed from the masses by means of a standard injector. Thick Needle Biopsy, also known as TRU-CUT, is performed with special devices and tissue samples are taken rapidly from the masses. During the biopsy procedure, local anesthesia is performed to the patient, so pain is not felt during the procedure.
- Remove the Benign Masses and Follow-Up; As a result of examinations, benign breast masses without cancer are surgically removed. The taken parts must be analysed. Regularly controls need to be done even if the masses are diagnosed as not harmful.
- Breast Cancer Surgeries, Breast – Conserving Surgery (BCS, Sentinel Node) and Follow-Up; Breast cancer is an important disease that requires a complicated treatment process. Chemotherapy, radio therapy and hormone therapy can be used in addition to surgical methods. If breast cancer is diagnosed in early stage, cancer cell masses can ablate from the breast. At meantime, if surrounding fat tissues are also ablate, this process is called Breast – Conserving surgery. The size of the tumor, patient’s preferences and his/her performance status are considered in Breast – Conserving Surgery. The tumor can be saliently uncovered by sentinel lymph node dissection method and also healthy tissues are preserved by this method.
Diagnosis and Treatment of All Diseases in the Abdomen;
In case of sickness in the abdomen or abdominal organs, surgeons cure the health status of patient by choosing the most appropriate surgical methods.
- Endoscopic Procedures (Gastrocopy, Colonoscopy); Gastrocopy is a procedure that allows to image the stomach, duodenum and esophagus of patients who complaints from abdominal pain, burning, souring, swallowing difficulties and blood in the mouth. It is a safe method for diagnosing cancerous cells and diseases. Colonoscopy is an imaging method that allows the diagnosis of intestine diseases and whether or not cancerous cells are present.
- Cholecystotomy (Laparoscopic); In the event of rapid growth of polyps in gallbladder and causes to different problems cholecystectomy is performed, by closed-method. Patients who are treated with laparoscopic could return to their daily lives in a short time. Laparoscopic is a safe and fast recovery process.
- Cancer Surgeries of Benign Stomach and Intestinal Diseases (Laparoscopic or Open-Method); Both open and closed surgical methods are used in the treatment of stomach and intestinal diseases and cancer at this area. Surgeons decide whether open or closed methods should be used considering factors such as spread of the disease and performance status of the patient.
- Appendicectomy by Laparoscopy; Appendicit problems such as severe abdominal pain, loss of appetite, nausea and fever; are treated by closed-method. The operation is performed by opening minimal incisions in the umbilicus. Scar formation rate is minimum level after surgery.
Diagnosis and Treatment of Abdominal Wall Hernia;
Increasing of intra-abdominal pressure, COPD, intra-abdominal tumors, obesity, weight lifting can cause hernias. The main reason of formation the hernias is known as loosening of the tissues in abdominal wall and displacement of intra-abdominal tissue and organs. Herniation reduce the life quality of the patient and if it is not treated, it can cause problems such as; giant hernia, strangulation of the hernia and decay of the intestine.
- Inguinal Hernia Surgery (Open and Laparoscopic); When the abdominal wall in the inguinal region is weakened, inguinal hernias are occur and can be treated by open or closed methods.
- Umbilical Hernia Surgery (Open and Laparoscopic); Outward bulging of the belly button is the most basic indication of the Umbilical Hernia. Umbilical Hernia is often seen in women because of abdominal wall is congenital weak in this region. The surgery could be either by open or closed methods.
- Operative Site Hernia (Open and Laparoscopic); Occasionally hernias occur during surgery, appear in incision regions. There is a possibility of hernia in these areas shortly after the operation or years later. Operative Site Hernia can be treated by surgical instauration of the incision.
Diagnosis and Treatment of Anal Region Diseases;
Benign and malignant diseases can be seen in the anus region. Hemorrhoids, perianal abscesses and anal fissures are examples of the most common anal region diseases. These problems can be removed by surgery or laser treatment methods.
- Hemorrhoid Surgery (Laser and Open Method); Hemorrhoids that can be seen both inside and outside of anus, reduce the life quality of patients. In the initial stages, feeding habits can be changed and can be controlled by medicines, but later laser and surgical treatment methods may required.
- Anal Fissure Surgery; Anal Fissure Disease, known as the formation of cracks on the anus, can be done with techniques such as Parks and Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy depending on the size of the fracture, the position and whether there is a different problem accompanying the disease.
The scope of General Surgery is a medical field of medicine that also requires expertise. Incarnatus; also known as pilonidal cysts, is in this area of specialization. Furthermore Bariatric Surgery Operations are performed by General Surgeons. Operations such as; Sleeve Gastrectomy, Stomach Staple, Duodenal Switch, Gastric Bypass are performed in accordance with weight, age, health status and body mass index values of patient.
Obesity, among the biggest problems off our age, characterized by excessive fat accumulation in the body, can lead to serious health problems such as diabetes, hypertension, high cholesterol, apoplexy, cardiovascular diseases.
Sedentary life style, consuming too much and high calorie foods, genetic factors and hormonal imbalance can be lead to obesity disease and affects the person physically and psychologically negative. Obesity can be prevented and treated.
Who Should Have Bariatric Surgery?
Persons whose Body Mass Index is over 35 and who are included in the Morbid Obesity classification,
Body Mass Index is over 30 and people who are at risk for high blood pressure, joint problems, cardiovascular diseases due to over weight,
Persons who are determined to lose weight and change their lifestyle , may resort to Bariatric Surgery Operations.
There are different methods within the scope of Bariatric Surgery. Surgeons decides which method is better for the patient.
BARIATRIC SURGERY UNIT IN PRIVATE ATA SAĞLIK HOSPITAL
As Private Ata Sağlık Hospital, we perform Gastric Balloon and Sleeve Gastrectomy Operations within the scope of Bariatric Surgery.
Gastric Balloon Operation; At this operation, a silicone inflatable balloon is placed in the patiens stomach. As distinct from the other Obesity Surgeries, this balloon needs to be taken out after 6 months. Gastric Balloon allows the patient to lose weight quickly by filling the stomach and limiting food intake. After 6 months if the patient follows recommendations of the doctors, eats properly and exercise appropriate to their physical condition, they may lose 30% of their weight. Gastric Balloon Operation allows for rapid weight loss, regulates the changed blood values due to excess weight. Aims to decline of risky diseases and to get the right habits for a healthy life of person.
Sleeve Gastrectomy; It is the most common used obesity operation. The stomach is reduced in the form of a thin tube and restructred to about 20% of its previous size. The laparascopic tube, which is performed by a closed method, removes the excess part of the stomach permanently from the body during Gastric Surgery, in other words this operation has no return. The newly created stomach is shaped by the stlaping technique and the patient starts to lose weight quickly after the operation. Patients can lose 70% of their excess weight after Sleeve Gastrectomy Operation. However, the process of weight loss should be considered as a long-term struggle. If the patients who had operation, do not pay attention to the doctors recommendations, they may enlarge over time and unfortunately gain weight. For this reason, Bariatric Surgery should considered for the ones who are only determined to change their lives.
As Private Ata Sağlık Hospital, we tell our patients that obesity is not inevitable. We offer ways to accelerate the weight loss process to our patients who can not reach the ideal weight by themselves. We are mobilizing all our health units in order to lose weight quickly and healthy by trying to understand medical history of our patients and remove the main reason underlying being overweight.