Obesity is the fact of the fat mass become more than fat-free mass, resulting in body weight is above the normal level according to length.
For a healthy life, it is very important to keep in balance the energy which is taken and consumed in the body. If this balance can not be achieved, this situation may lead the formation of certain diseases such as hypertension, diabetes, heart diseases are cause obesity disease and decrease the person’s life quality. Obesity causes not only physical but also psychological problems in persons. The prior treatment methods in obesity are diet, exercise, lifestyle and behavioral changes. If can not succeed, endoscopic procedures and metabolic – bariatric surgery should be considered for the solution.
Endoscopic Balloon Operation (Intragastric Balloon):
- Gastric Balloon Method is one of the important methods for fight against obesity.
- Gastric Balloon Method is made by endoscopically.
- It is placed in the fundus part of the stomach, thus the patient have loss of appetite.
- The application takes about 10 minutes performed with sedation anesthesia.
- Gastric Balloon Method is performed to persons confirmed by medically and between the ages of 18-65
- After 6-12 months the balloon is removed from the stomach by endoscopic procedure.
- The patient is discharged 1 to 2 hours after the application is over and hospitalization is not required.
This method can be applied to morbidly obese patients for lose enough weight to become suitable for obesity surgery or to patients who do not meet the criteria of obesity surgery and can return to normal with less weight.
METABOLIC AND BARIATRIC SURGERY
Obesity surgery can be performed when the diet and exercises do not work. Obesity surgeon provides decisive solutions to reach ideal weight. There are different methods within the scope of Bariatric Surgery. Surgeons decide which method is better for the patient.
- Operations that restrict food intake; Sleeve Gastrectomy
- Surgery that disrupts the absorption of the received food; Transit Bipartition, Duodenal Switch (SADI-S), Gastric Bypass
General Surgery Specialist
Op. Dr. Taner AKGÜNER